Frequently Asked Questions:
We have tried to put as many questions as we can think of on this page. If you can’t find your question here please use the “contact us” page.
- Q: How much does it cost?
- A: We have a simple pricing policy:
- Camper per night is £90
- Camper and Awning per night is £115
- Bike rack is a one of fee of £25
- We do ask for a £500 excess, this is used to pay for any damage or lost items and is refunded less deductions on return of the camper.
- Q: What age do I need to be to drive the campervan?
- A: Must be over 25 and under 75 and held a full licence for 2 years or more.
- Q: Do I need a special driving licence?
- A: Our Campervan can be driven on a standard car licence. More information can be found in our terms and conditions
- Q: What if I have points on my driving licence?
- A: Its OK as long as you don’t have more than 6 points for minor convictions (speeding) and no major convictions (drink driving etc) on your license. No major accidents (involving claims above £5,000) in the last 3 years.
- Q: How old is the campervan?
- A: Our camper is less than 5 yrs old, very well maintained and we take great pride in presenting it in perfect condition inside & out. You will be given ample opportunity to inspect it prior to your departure to make sure you’re happy. All we ask is that you return it in the same condition it went out.
- Q: Can I come and have a look before I decide?
- A: Of course, we are based just outside Aberystwyth at SY23 4NZ. Please call ahead to make sure the vehicle is onsite and available for viewing.
- Q: Is the vehicle manual or automatic?
- A: Our campervan is manual transmission.
- Q: Does the vehicle have a bike rack?
- A: Our campervan can be provided with a 4-bike bike rack as an optional extra. Please let us know at the time of booking if this is required.
- Q: Can I take the vehicle outside of the UK?
- A: No, our vehicle is restricted to UK only travel.
- Q: Is your vehicle pet-friendly?
- A: Unfortunately not everyone loves pets, so our van is currently hired on a strictly no pets basis.
- Q: Do we have to replace the LPG gas we’ve used?
- A: For short hires we are happy to include reasonable usage within the hire fee. For longer stays, or should the hirer use an excessive amount of gas, we would ask you to top up the cannisters before returning the van.
- Q: Does the vehicle come with bedding?
- A: No bedding is provided, hirer’s would need to supply their own.
- Q: Is there a limit on mileage?
- A: No, there is no limit on mileage providing the vehicle stays within the UK.
- Q: Is breakdown cover included?
- A: Yes, breakdown cover & recovery is included for travel within the UK
- Q: How much does it cost to reserve the campervan?
- A: We ask for a £200 non-refundable booking fee to secure a booking. The security deposit of £500 will be paid upon collecting the vehicle for your first day of hire.
- Q: When do I need to return the van by?
- A: Unless agreed in writing in advance, the campervan must be returned by 11am on the final day of hire. This is particularly important in the high season when we have very tight turnaround times. You wouldn’t want to be delayed leaving if the hirer before you brought theirs back late, so please plan to be back before 11am. More info in our terms and conditions
- Q: Can I leave my car with you?
- A: Yes you can leave your can on our premises, however we cannot accept liability for any damage or theft.
- Q: What do I need to bring with me on the day of hire?
- A: Drivers will need to come holding their license, National Insurance number plus another form of ID with your name and current address on it (utility bill, official letter etc) and a credit or debit card (in their name) to pay the balance of the security deposit.
- Q: How do security deposits work and when do I get the money back?
- A: Standard security deposit on a UK license (staying within the UK) is £500. If you pay using a debit card, the money will be physically taken. Provided the motorhome is returned in the same state it was when it left, it is full of fuel, the toilet is empty and clean, none of the utensils are missing and it is generally clean and tidy you will receive your full deposit back. Unless a deduction needs to be made, we aim to get the deposits returned within 10 working days.
- Q: How do you deal with damage or losses?
- A: We want you to have a great time but you need to be fully aware that you are responsible for the campervan and its contents. Accidents do happen and unfortunately things do get broken. The internal fittings are lightweight so also delicate, please go easy and never try to force anything.
- We are completely transparent when it comes to charging for damage repair, we try to make it as painless as possible but there will be some extra costs. We charge you for the cost of the replacement part and the admin time it takes to source it, send it and fit it.
- Q: What are the most common things that get broken or need replacing?
- A: Window blinds and window stays.
- Door locks (they are made of out of plastic inside so be gentle)
Roof lights and side windows, do a quick check they’re shut tight before driving anywhere, they will blow open and off!
Wing mirrors getting clipped by oncoming vehicles (particularly vans).
Waste taps and pipes underneath (they’re very low so often get knocked off on bumpy tracks)
Utensils, plates, bowls etc are easily mislaid but unfortunately if items are missing upon booking the campervan back in, they will need to be replaced. We have a checklist which both the customer and staff will go through upon the vehicle leaving and returning to the premises, and so any shortages will be agreed upon at that time.
- Q: What happens if I paid the £200 initial booking fee in advance but then have to cancel before I have paid the balance?
- A: The initial booking fee is non refundable. We will always offer you the option to postpone the booking to a later date subject to availability, and use the advance booking fee as a credit against that hire.
- Q: What happens if I have paid in full but then have to cancel?
- A: We will offer you the chance to postpone the booking, this is subject to availablity. All payments (other than the security deposit) are non refundable. Holiday insurance cover is advised to safegaurd against this possibility.
- Q: I’ve never been in a campervan before, how does it work?
- A: Many of our customers are first timers, don’t panic. Everyone gets a thorough handover and instructed on how everything works before their hire starts: hot water, control panels, gas and electric, bed making. It’s a lot to take on so we provide you with an easy to follow guide. By the second night you’ll be doing it like a pro. If you get stuck the best thing to do is ask someone in a campervan on your campsite, they’ll be only too happy to help. If you’re really stuck you can always call us during office hours.
- Q: Where can I stay in my campervan?
- A: There are many campsites to chose from within the UK. If you want to stay local to Aberystwyth we can recommend some nice sites. Its always best to plan ahead and book your campsite pitch once you’ve booked the campervan. We can also recommend a couple of local places to ‘free camp’, but this is at your own risk.
- Q: What is your policy on smoking in the campervan?
- A: We have a strictly no smoking policy in the van for obvious reasons. Please smoke outside and away from the vehicle. There is a fine for smoking in the vans, please see our terms & conditions.
- Q: Does the fridge work even when you’re not plugged in to an electrical supply?
- A: The campervan is completely self-sufficient in terms of hot water, and fridge freezer which can all be run off the gas/electricity. The internal lights run from the on-board leisure battery. This can be recharged whilst driving or by plugging into a 240v connection at a camp site. Please note, If you’re not hooked up to the mains, the plug sockets in the van may not work.
Copyright © 2021 West Wales Campervan Hire. All rights r